THE FILM ( MOVIE) INDUSTRY HAS PRODUCED SOME OF THE MOST PROLIFIC AND ICONIC PEOPLE OF OUR TIMES…..
Creating waves not only in their films as actors and actresses but also in fashion and style.
I decided to start this post to bring you more info about these iconic peoples hair and fashion. Partly for my own log bank too as we’ve had to research theses images.
Anyhow, what better way to start this post off than with an actress who, had she been alive would be 109 years old today.
May 12, 1907 – June 29, 2003
Katharine died June 23rd 2003 at the ripe old age of 96.
Apparently she was tomboyish, independent, and very vivacious, often called difficult in Hollywood, where she was known as being very feisty and would talk back to people. They didn’t find her appealing, sexy or beautiful but somehow this outspoken woman from New England who would often go swimming in the cold Atlantic Ocean as a child as well as partake in numerous other sports.
For all her traits ( Or faults as they were often seen), she still managed to forge a huge career in Hollywood, making over 50 films ( 44 feature films and 8 Television Films), getting nominated for 12 Oscars and winning 4 of them. Thats some feat for a woman who would not give interviews, not talk to fans for most of her career and distanced herself from the Hollywood lifestyle, uninterested in any kind of celebrity scene she saw as tedious and superficial. She wasn’t particularly liked in Hollywood by all accounts but had a relentless energy and enthusiasm for life of which a headstrong independence became key to her celebrity status. This self-assuredness meant she could be controlling and difficult; Her friend Garson Kanin likened her self assuredness and ability to blunt and outspoken as School mistress like. Her niece commented that her aunt could be “maddeningly self-righteous and bossy”, and Katharine admitted in later life to being “a me me me person” when she was younger. She was quoted as saying “I like life and I’ve been so lucky, why shouldn’t I be happy?”
Below is her 12 Oscar Nominations ( Taken from Wikipedia)
- 6th Academy Awards(1934): Best Actress, win, for Morning Glory
- 8th Academy Awards (1936): Best Actress, nomination, for Alice Adams
- 13th Academy Awards (1941): Best Actress, nomination, for The Philadelphia Story
- 15th Academy Awards (1943): Best Actress, nomination, for Woman Of The Year
- 24th Academy Awards(1952): Best Actress, nomination, for The African Queen
- 28th Academy Awards (1956): Best Actress, nomination, for Summertime
- 29th Academy Awards (1957): Best Actress, nomination, for The rainmaker
- 32nd Academy Awards (1960): Best Actress, nomination, for Suddenly, Last Summer
- 35th Academy Awards (1963): Best Actress, nomination, for Long Day’s Journey Into Night
- 40th Academy Awards (1968): Best Actress, win, for Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner
- 41st Academy Awards(1969): Best Actress, win, for The Lion In Winter (shared with Barbra Streisand for Funny Girl)
- 54th Academy Awards (1982): Best Actress, win, for On Golden Pond
So lets celebrate this amazing woman in picture form: I give you Katherine Hepburn…….